Monday, April 5, 2010

Opening day lineup: Huh?

First pitch is in an hour, so let me get this off my chest. The opening day lineup is a horror show.

I've been clear on my feelings regarding Mike Jacobs. He may be the starter against righties, but there is no way he should be batting cleanup. You want to start Alex Cora over Ruben Tejada, the vet over the rookie, fine. But Angel Pagan has earned the right to start in centerfield, not only because of how he played last season but because he is a legitimate leadoff option.

Cora should not be batting leadoff. Gary Matthews Jr. should be a spot starter only in centerfield. Jason Bay should be hitting cleanup. Instead we have:

Cora
Castillo
Wright
Jacobs
Bay
Matthews
Francoeur
Barajas
Santana

Good god! I'd hit Castillo first before Cora. How about:

Pagan
Castillo
Wright
Bay
Jacobs
Francoeur
Barajas
Cora
Santana

I understand the L-R-L thing and "lengthening" the lineup, but that's a luxury you indulge in when you have the personnel. With Reyes and Beltran out of the lineup, you have to get your best available players the most opportunities.

Good luck, Johan!

No comments:

Post a Comment