Monday, April 5, 2010

Another Opening Day Happy Recap

Some thoughts on today's 7-1 victory over the Marlins at Citi Field:
  • That's one.
  • I guess spring training ERA doesn't count for much, at least for Johan Santana.
  • Love the cream-colored unis with the pinstripes. Yeah, I know, leaving the black shadow around METS doesn't make it truly retro, but they look sharp and are a good option next to the snow whites.
  • Players who we wanted to see get off to a strong start did, for the most part. Jason Bay tripled, had two hits, made a nice throw to second base and showed some speed on the bases. Of course, Wright's two-run homer in the first was huge for him. Even Gary Matthews got in the act with two hits.
  • I've had the toughest time spelling FRANCOEUR. Maybe it's because I didn't take French in high school. I always want to spell it O-U-E-R. Then I realized that the end is EUR, like Europe, or euro, and that part comes after FRANCO, a la Matt or John. So it's FRANCO plus EURO, minus the O. It's so easy now!
  • It's fitting that the Mets are so dominant on Opening Day, now 32-17 in their history. The Mets have always been about BELIEVE, and you never have more belief in the possibilities than on opening day. It's the rest of the season we have to worry about.
  • Nice work by Fernando Nieve. Maybe he can be the right-handed counterpart to Pedro Feliciano in a two-headed bridge to K-Rod, with Hisanori Takahashi in more of a long relief role. Then again, don't forget about Kiko Calero, who could be back with the club soon. Guy was dominant last season.
  • I'll have more to say about this after I go to Thursday night's game, but I like what I've seen so far re: the changes to Citi Field. I never thought there was a lack of Mets-ness (or what Gary Cohen called 'Metitude'), but the additions are all positive, particularly the Shea Bridge and the old Home Run apple now out front in the plaza. Also like the gates named for Hodges and Seaver, the big banners -- it's all good, and I'm looking forward to the Mets Hall of Fame and McFadden's. The Wilpons got hammered last season by fans who couldn't grasp Citi Field as a work in progress, and they should get credit now for listening to the fans and doing it right.
  • Great to see another team struggle with the fundys. May want to work on the pickoff play some more, Fredi G.
  • SQUEEZE! It didn't work, but I loved the applause the effort got from the crowd. Manuel likes to run, Bay said he wants to run more, and hopefully we'll see more of this kind of play this season.
  • Watching the Encore broadcast, I'm reminded once again how great we have it with Keith, Gary and Ron in the booth. Outstanding job again. We're spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment